How To Become A Performing Arts Teacher

How to Become a Performing Arts teacher.

Are you passionate about teaching, do you love working with young people, do you want every day to be filled with creative challenges?

Then Why not train as a performing arts teacher?

Whether you are interested in training as a full time  teacher in a primary, junior or secondary school or training to run or teach at a part time school we aim to show you the way.

Trinity Guildhall offer exams in teaching.

Teaching and Applied Drama

Trinity Guildhall Diplomas in Teaching, Applied Drama, Education Studies and Directing are valuable qualifications for those practitioners wishing to validate their work as teachers, tutors or directors in the fields of performing arts. At all levels, written work as well as performance or demonstration of practical applications is required. The ATCL,Teaching diplomas,may be taken in Speech and Acting or Theatre Arts.

The minimum age at entry is 18.

The ATCL provides a preliminary qualification equivalent to the first year of a university degree. While it does not confer trained teacher status, it is a valuable qualification for those working towards a Licentiate and working with individuals and small groups in studios, young people's theatre and colleges.

For more information please visit Trinity College web site.

CLICK HERE for more information on Trinity Guildhall Teacher Qualifications

We are at present compiling information to help you fulfil your dream, keep checking back to the site for more information on courses and helpful publications. 

Stagecoach Theatre Arts now offer Teacher Training Find out more HERE

See our new job page.

So how do I become a teacher of Performing Arts?

The Arts is now one of the most popular subjects to follow at GCSE and A level. With so many students discovering a passion for the arts it is important to know what opportunities are available when it comes to pursing a career. Would be Performers have several options, they can study at university or choose one of the top 23 recomended schools in England that are members of the CDS.  

Child performers maybe able to make the transition, from child actor to adult, without having to have further training. Though this is indeed rare, it is not impossible.  

However, not everyone wants to be a performer some prefer to teach, so what training do you need. Well I spoke to one teacher who told me all about her journey from leaving Blag Youth Theatre in Rickmansworth to landing a first class job in a secondary school in Hertfordshire, she also outlines other routes open to you.  

‘My passion for acting began in my early teens, when I joined Blag Youth Theatre. There I was able to expand my knowledge and experiment with improvisation and scripted pieces. It also gave me performance opportunities which confirmed my passion for the arts.

 I left school with 3 A-levels (Theatre studies, Music and English Lit.) in 1998. I went on to do a three year degree in Drama and Theatre Studies and graduated in 2001. During the following 3 years I worked with a variety of different aged children running outdoor adventure activities. I then made the decision to become a secondary school teacher and to go back to university; so in 2004 I started a PGCE in drama at Chester University. This course took a year and was very hands-on with two teaching placements in different schools.

Once I completed this year I started as an NQT (Newly Qualified teacher) at a school in Hertfordshire - Once I had done one year at this school i was a fully-qualified teacher of drama!!  

There are other routes into teaching:  

If you make the decision before I did and know when you finish your A-Levels that you want to be a teacher then you can do a 4 year course at University and become either a primary teacher or a secondary teacher with drama specialism.  

If you have a drama degree already and wish to teach then you can either apply to do a PGCE, like me or a GTP. A GTP is a school based qualification where you work in a school for a reduced salary until you qualify.  

If you have a degree in another subject then you can still become a performing arts teacher but may have to do a short course to convert your specialism.’

Lynn was talking to Becky Segalini.

Central School PGCE Course

To become a PArts teacher in a secondary school you will  need to have a 3 year degree and a one year PGCE or a four year teaching degree.

It is best to  specialise in drama at University  and then do a PGCE.

Also, private secondary schools sometimes employ non-qualified teachers as long as they have good subject knowledge.

If you are applying For a PGCE, please follow the link below.!eiFgLfL

Working in a Part Time Performing Arts School

London Drama serving drama  teachers across London.

London Drama is a Professional Association for drama teachers, lecturers, teachers-in-training, theatre practitioners and others concerned with any aspect of Theatre Education.