Screen Acting Tips and Advise For Actors
TV & Film Screen Acting tips.
Do you want to know more about screen acting?
Director Nic Phillips shares some great screen acting tips and information on how to improve your technique.
NIC PHILLIPS' TOP SCREEN ACTING TIPS ©2010 Cleverboymedia Ltd
Nic Phillips has worked in the film and television industry for more than forty years.
In 2010 he set up a production company, Clever Boy Media, with producer and founder of the Actors Studio at Pinewood, Tim Kent. Together they made the educational DVD, Screen Acting Close Up, which is designed to reveal some of the most fundamental requirements of successful performance for camera.
Nic teaches and coaches screen acting and auditioning technique and continues to direct Eastenders, having just made the episodes about the murder of Heather!
Here Nic shares his top Screen Acting Tips
- Carefully read every word of the script you've been given, including the stage directions and not just your scenes. Take note of how your character fits into and serves the story
- Learn your part and research your character's background as thoroughly as you can in advance.
- Don't change the writer's words without consulting the director. If you don't understand any part of your dialogue or stage directions, never be afraid to ask.
- Be open to last minute changes to the script, blocking and cuts. These happen all the time.
- Understand you're part of a team. Co-operation & negotiation get the job done. Display a can-do attitude.
- Run your lines with your fellow players whenever you have a moment to do so. Don't be afraid to ask.
- Love the camera - it is your best friend - but never play into it unless you're directed to do so.
- The camera can see 'in your head', see what you're thinking, so always strive to be 'in the moment'. Fully inhabit your character. Concentrate, listen & react appropriately and naturalistically.
- Be aware of your own continuity - face, gestures, movement, costume & props. When in doubt, do LESS!
- Never stop watching & learning technique from more experienced actors' performances.
Buy your own copy Screen Acting Close Up [DVD]
Watch it whenever you need reminding of these and other audition, screen acting & career skills.
Other screen acting books.